Wednesday, March 11, 2009

False River



Delores Hurst


This is my Louisiana, a place where I can go to relax by the dock, watch people fish, and see families and friends enjoy the weather. This place is False River located in New Roads, Louisiana. When I visit home, my friends and I usually meet each other at the dock and people watch. I remember when I was a little girl, my dad would take my siblings and I fishing early in the morning when it wasn’t crowded. We would sit there for hours laughing and enjoying each other until we got enough fish to take home. My dad loves to fish and when we were kids; that was one of our ways of bonding with him. False River also was the place I was baptized when I was 7 years old. South Louisiana really doesn’t represent what people call “sportsman paradise” but False River is a paradise to the people in New Roads.

False River is really not a river, it is a trophy lake. It was at one time the main channel of the Mississippi River in the area, but it was cut off in about 1722 because seasonal flooding cut a shorter channel to the east. Water sporting usually occurs on False River from spring to summer and people mostly fish from fall to winter. New Roads holds a major competition every year where boats and jet skies race from one end of the 10 mile lake to the other. When there aren’t any competitions, you’ll usually find a few boats occupying the water every day. You will find all ages on the water, but for me, the best time to sit on the docks and relax is at night when no one is around. It’s very peaceful, the stars are so visible, and you can smell the food of our local Cajun restaurant; Satterfield’s. There is also duck hunting on this lake and a place to get food to feed the ducks.

Another thing that makes False River popular is the vacation spots and the real estate. Many people vacation here because of the peace and the scenery. There are a lot of nice houses around this area and there are stories that country singer Faith Hill owns one of them. Another celebrity that is said to own property on False River is the rapper Master P. There is only one famous person I know who definitely lives along this lake and that is the author Ernest Gaines. Many people know about False River because of friends. I remember I heard a student say they were going to False River with a friend for spring break and it shocked me that someone knew about it. It shocked me that people actually came to New Roads to vacation, but I realized that the lake is a pretty popular place amongst Louisiana teens. False River reflects Louisiana because of the recreation and the fishing. The places along this lake reflect Louisiana culture and diversity. It’s even where my town holds one of the Mardi Gras parades. False River, in a
sense, is the essence of Louisiana.

No comments:

Post a Comment