Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Steel Magnolias






















As crazy as it sounds, finding an image that represents my home state of Louisiana is not as easy as it sounds. There is so much to Louisiana; her history is rich with culture, music, food, and life. Trying to find an image that embodies all of these traits and much more was very difficult. But there was one image in my mind that I just kept coming back to me and in the end decided that it was the best way for me to portray my beloved state.

Whenever I think of Louisiana, I think about the images in the movie Steel Magnolias. It not only depicts the scenery of the stately live oak trees and the broad magnolias of my native home, but also shows of our unique culture and values. It accurately shows off good southern women; how they cook, how they gossip, and how no matter what, through thick or thin, they are always there for each other no matter what. Also seeing firsthand good old fashion southern manners in almost every scene; knowing that you can get away with saying anything if you add poor dear to the end of it.

I also love how the film really truly embraces the culture. Between a good big old fashion southern wedding, to all the extraordinary festivals that you can only find in Louisiana. By the end of the film the viewer truly begins to understand the meaning of the phrase “Laissez les bons temps rouler” or in English, “Let the good times roll”.

Louisiana is very complicated; she has so many layers that it is almost impossible to describe all her natural beauty and richness of history and do any justice what so ever. I believe that I have done her proud. Anyone who has ever seen the movie just gets a good general sense of how things are and what is important to us. We are always there for our family and friends through good times and bad. We are a strong people who can get through just about anything. This is my Louisiana.
- Lauren Cates

No comments:

Post a Comment