Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Madewood Plantation


Taylor Bergeron ENGL 2000 Section 24
When I consider the many aspects of Louisiana, one of the main things that come to mind is the magnificent historical significance the state has to offer. The picture that I have selected for this blog is of Madewood Plantation Home. Madewood has towering columns across the front porch and floor to ceiling windows along the entire front present the home as the “masterpiece on the bayou”. This particular plantation is located in my hometown of Napoleonville, Louisiana. Madewood is situated on Bayou Lafourche which used to be a main branch off the Mississippi River. Bayou Lafourche served as a trade route and a mode of transportation during the Civil War. Now, the bayou has been cut off and the plantation now serves as a bed and breakfast. I feel that Madewood, along with all the other spectacular plantation homes in Louisiana, show the actual historical evidence of an important part of Louisiana and United States history. The Civil War played a major part in the development of what our country is today. Along with the transition from agriculture to modern industrialization, slave labor was also an aspect of this period in history. This image signifies one of the many aspects Louisiana offers as a state from the past into the future.
It would only be fit that I would think of my hometown when I have to talk about Louisiana. Napoleonville is so small that it is classified as a village and only has one red light. The many amazing experiences that I have had in Napoleonville have molded me to become the person that I am today. Even though Napoleonville is small in size, the residents who live there are some of the greatest people you will ever meet. Just about anywhere in Louisiana you will find the famous “southern hospitality” and this is something that many tourists come to experience. So when thinking about Louisiana, my thought always goes back to the historical aspect Louisiana offers and the hometown treasure of Madewood Plantation that Napoleonville offers.

No comments:

Post a Comment