Wednesday, March 11, 2009

When I Think of Louisiana

Ashley Bellerino
Ms. Michel
English 2000- Section 24
9 March 2009
When I Think of Louisiana
This picture was taken when I was in the French Quarter one day with my family. I live
in New Orleans so, naturally, I usually think of something involving this city when I am trying to
represent Louisiana. My father took the picture and enhanced certain aspects of it, making it
look like the type of picture they sell in boutiques around town. This woman was playing her
keyboard and singing a song for some spare change from onlookers. These types of people are
quite common when one is walking through the quarter. She was playing right in front of the
Praline shop, which is a memorable location for the area. Behind her are different little shops that
visitors cannot get enough of; they sell souvenirs ranging from fleur de leis ornaments to risky
shirts covered in profanities. Some people might view these performers as nuisances, but others
might see them as just one of the many cultural aspects of New Orleans. As tourists walk around,
they will see many people trying to make a living off of public entertainment. Some natives will
be standing as statues and painted silver, while others might be putting on a dance routine in
Jackson Square.
My friends and I will go downtown acting like tourists, visiting the St. Louis
Cathedral, taking a carriage ride, and getting beignets at Café Du Monde. Another unique
characteristic of New Orleans that one cannot find anywhere else is the Riverwalk. This includes
the mall with the aquarium and the I-Max Theater connected to it. My family and I like to go see
a movie and then go walk along the river to watch the riverboats pass by. It is interesting to think
how one woman playing her keyboard can make someone nostalgic of the memories and aspects
of his/her city. Another example of how one thing can cause many different recollections is food.
Food is one of the strongest characteristics that brings in travelers and gives the city it’s unique
background. One visit to New Orleans would not be enough time to eat at all the historic
places that are so popular.
I will never forget the lady I saw on the street that day because she contributes to the
individuality that our city will always be famous for. She is trying to make an honest living while
also spreading her talent of music in order to touch those passing by, even if it is in the slightest
way. I may not always give money to the people trying to make a living on the main streets, but I
will always respect their efforts to amuse the bystanders, whether they be tourists from all over or the locals of New Orleans.

No comments:

Post a Comment