Thursday, March 12, 2009

Louisiana in a Visual Age



The picture I posted is a picture of Camp Abbey. Camp Abbey was a Catholic camp for children from the ages eight to thirteen. It was a camp that you could attend to paint pictures or other arts and crafts. Someone could also take a hike in the woods or to the St. Joseph’s Abbey Cathedral. Children could swim and play sports with friends, and make bonds that last a lifetime. At night there were many celebrations that contained campfires, songs, and laughter. There are many reasons why I chose this picture. Camp Abbey holds a special place in my heart. I attended the camp as a camper until I was thirteen and then as a counselor until I was 18. I have made friendships that will last forever.
In my opinion, Camp Abbey reminds me of Louisiana because for decades it was a place for people to grow and mature. Not only did the counselors and administration at camp teach you about life situations and problems, they also taught someone about their faith and how to grow in that aspect of life. My mother attended Camp Abbey over thirty years ago. She told me stories for years about the friends she made and the experiences she gained from attending Camp Abbey. When I turned eight, there was nothing I wanted more than to attend camp. After my first summer, I fell in love and did not want to leave. They taught me so much my first year; I could not help but want to go back and spend more weeks of my summer in Folsom, Louisiana.
Camp Abbey represents Louisiana because, like other treasures of Louisiana, were destroyed by Hurricane Katrina. There were so many places lost by Katrina that it affected not only Louisiana, but many surrounding areas. Many trees were destroyed, as well as trials, and some buildings. With many repairs and help from people around the state of Louisiana, Camp Abbey was able to try to recover. A year past Hurricane Katrina, Camp Abbey bounced back. They recovered and set up camp for one last. Even though it is now closed due to other reasons, Camp Abbey will always hold a special place in my heart along with many other fellow Louisianans. In my opinion, it is a shame that some children today will not be able to experience all that I learned and gained from the Camp Abbey life.

1 comment: