Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Offshore For sure


By: William Bordelon

When I think of Louisiana, I think of offshore fishing and diving and the wonderful Gulf of Mexico. I have been going fishing since I was an infant and it is the only thing that relieves my stress. The Gulf of Mexico is unexplainable for someone who has never been. The only things that destructs one’s view, when offshore, is the numerous oil rigs that cover the entire gulf. These rigs are a haven for bait fish, which brings in many big fish which I love to pursue all summer long. For the last two years, I have been deck handing for a summer job and it allows me to do what I love and get paid for it. Although deck handing consists of: filling the boat with rotten bait fish, making sure every ice chest if filled with ice, ensuring the customers that we will catch plenty of fish, baiting every hook, and gaffing every fish that is brought to the boat, it is the same thing that keeps me from sleeping every night in the off-season. For some, this would seem like the most miserable thing in the entire world, but in my eyes it is one of the greatest attributes that the wonderful state of Louisiana has to offer.
The second thing I think of when I look at this image, is the wonderful place located south of Port Fourcheon, Grand Isle. Grand Isle has been a place for my family and I to get away for so many years and has brought us together better than any place in the world. As I have begun to get older, it has not only brought about a time for family, but a place where I can spend a wonderful time with my friends. The island is filled with camps that are owned my all of our friends and families and provides us with a home away from home. We spend our day’s laid out on the beach, getting shit-faced playing drinking games, yelling and screaming in intense games of horse shoes, and telling lies to all those that will listen. Although this seems to be enough fun for some, our real fun does not start until we go to Arties Sports Bar. Arties, also known as Big Daddy’s to us regulars, has a huge deck over the beach and allows one to party outside and scream and yell all night long. The party begins when the sun goes down, and the drinks do not stop flowing until the sun comes up in the morning. When all of our friends stumble out the bar in the morning, the guys go fishing and the girls go pass out at the camp until we get back from fishing. We wake up the women and do the same thing over again, with very little or no sleep.
Many would feel like this would be no fun, but these are the exact reasons why I love the wonderful state of Louisiana. For all those that believe they could hang, I would definitely recommend the wonderful offshore fishing and the coastal town of Grand Isle to all those who would like to experience the rich attributes our beautiful state has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment